Monday, May 25, 2009

The Devil is in the Details

From the first, this trip to India has just felt right to me. So many things came together in such quick succession. Like I said, there were a bunch of God things that seemed to confirm that we should do this. It didn't really require any pondering.

I trusted God and said, "Yes" to this trip.

And then the thinking begins. How will I get that much money? Will God really come through on that? Am I trusting him if I wonder if he'll come through? Should I earn all the trip money myself or rely on donations? Should I earn the money for the trip and use the donations as donations for Sarah's kids? What if I don't earn enough? Will I have enough by August when we need to buy tickets?

And then it hit me. When I am thinking, I am not trusting.

The DEVIL is in the details.

God wants us to look at the big picture. HE wants to take care of the details.

1 Chronicles 28:18-20 (New International Version)

18 ...He also gave him the plan for the chariot, that is, the cherubim of gold that spread their wings and shelter the ark of the covenant of the LORD.

19 "All this," David said, "I have in writing from the hand of the LORD upon me, and he gave me understanding in all the details of the plan."

20 David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.


So I am trying really hard to let God work out the details while I listen for his direction in carrying them out.

1 comment:

Recovering Noah said...

Oh I know. I've had all those thoughts myself. And then I thought.. you know, 15 people going on the trip. If we just donated that money instead of going... sooo much could be done for Sarah's kids that way.

But I just really, really believe that this trip is meant to happen. I think it's going to be life-changing for some of the people who are going and I think that, in the end, more money will be able to be raised for Sarah's kids than if we stayed home. I think this will be a life-long "partnership" - for lack of a better word.