Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Baby Blessing

I just wanted to share some of my favorite Sunshine things.

When I put my socks on, I always brush off my feet since we have hardwood floors, 5 kids and 2 cats. There is always grit and dust stuck to the bottoms of my feet. Anyway, I don't like the crud inside my sock, so I brush off my feet with my hand. Sunshine, who always seems to be nearby when I get dressed (hey, he's nearby all the time, really) always gives me a little foot rub. He sees me rub my foot and wants to do it too. It doesn't come across in words the right way, but it is so sweet!

When I put him down for his nap, we do the same thing every day. We change his diaper, kiss all the other kids, get a drink, then go to his crib. Next we have to turn on his music (Christian radio, except he always manages to put on the country station when he turns the radio off after his nap), turn on the monitor and then I dance him.

I hold him and sing, "Tired baby, Tired Baby, Tired baby, It's time to go to sleep, boom boom boom" repeat. The first 2 or 3 times through the song he's all about fooling around and trying to squirm away. But by about the 3rd time, he snuggles into me and wraps his little arms around my neck. I could just eat him up! I treasure those hugs!

At night, he sleeps in a twin bed smooshed between our queen bed and the wall. But at some point every night, he slithers over next to me, hunkers down on the edge of my bed and mumbles, "Unner, unner" so he can get under my covers. He snuggles up next to me and goes right back to sleep. Yeah, he kicks me half the night, but who can resist a little soul so comforted by warm covers and a warm mommy?

He also has a thing for my stomach. I guess that's understandable....it's so soft and squishy. Moms make such sacrifices for their kids.... Anyway, he loves to lift up my shirt and lay his head on my stomach when we snuggle before bed. He also loves to run his hand across my tummy and over my back. Think he craves skin-to-skin contact??? It reminds me of when Rose Bud was a baby and would run her hand up and down my side while she nursed. Moms who fear that by adopting a child you'll miss out on those biological moments--it isn't true!

I am so blessed to have this little bundle of love as a son! He has brought me immeasurable good things and I'm so glad God chose us to be his parents!

No comments: