Thursday, April 30, 2009

What we say vs. what toddlers hear

Daisy had a late piano lesson today so while she pianoed, I took Sunshine, Banana Boy, Pepper, AK (my god daughter) and the piano teacher's 2 yo son to the park behind their house.

It was a beautiful day and warm enough to take off jackets and just wear t-shirts. After about 15 minutes, AK came over and asked for a drink. I reminded her we had to wait until Daisy finished her piano lesson. She asked twice more before we were able to leave.

Finally, Daisy appeared and as we were leaving the park together, Pepper said, "I'm thirsty!"

I answered, "We'll get a drink when we get home." (now read this next part out loud) "AK is, too."

"NO I AM NOT!" she proclaimed. She paused while she adjusted her fingers. "I am.... (holding fingers up) ....THREE!"

No comments: