Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Greatest Luxury

In today's sermon, our pastor was talking about the instinct of mothers and also about Pentecost and the Holy Spirit (he did have the two related somehow). At one point he talked about women in the Bible and how unimportant they were in their society in comparison to males. Then he said,(and I've lost some context here, but he still said what he said) "...with all the advances women have made in the world and the workplace, we still have stay-at-home mothers and homemakers..."

WHAT??????!!!!!

Hello! That's me!

And I realized right at that moment how VERY, VERY blessed I am to be a stay-at-home mother (you can take the homemaking part and dispose of it however you like). I am SO blessed that we are able to live on one income and I can stay at home with my children AND homeschool!

Yes, I work part time. I waitress 4 nights a week. But if I had to quit that job today, we would still be able to live where we live and how we live. My money pays for swimming lessons and piano lessons and new clothes for the kids (as opposed to HAVING to shop at garage sales) and my scrapbooking and Bible camp and homeschooling supplies and curriculum and our child sponsorships. So would we still eat if I didn't work? Oh, yeah. But we'd stay home a lot more. We'd be less busy. Maybe even more content. We would not have all those luxuries.

But I am so thankful that I don't HAVE to work to support our family. I'm certainly not knocking anyone that does. Most of my friends work because they have to, at least part time. I realized today what a luxury it is to stay at home.

So I just wanted to acknowledge today the blessing in my life, the very great privelege, the incredible luxury I have of being a stay-at-home mom.

Blessings,
Sandwich

No comments: