Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Five Things

In honor of September, Rae at JourneyMama (one of my favorite blogs) is typing five things each day on her blog.  In the interest of resurrecting mine, I'll play along.  At least for today!

Rae says, "Here’s something different I'm trying this September: Posts made up of Five Things. These things can be bits of grace, they can be funny things, they can be frustrating things.  These are the things you pull out of your pocket, at the end of the day, and arrange on your night table. These are the thoughts and memories you gather throughout the day. These are the things you paste in your journal. There are no rules, really, I just want to write about five things, to jog my brain and memory and not forget-- it’s the not forgetting that’s the most important— these years are an avalanche of challenges and gifts and I want to remember it all."

So, we'll see if I can come up with five things.

1.  I began the day with a medium level of anxiety.  We camped this weekend and the kids were up much past their bedtime each night.  A certain someone went to bed grumpy last night in protest at having to go to bed early.  The same certain someone did not come out of his/her room as usual at 6:00.  Nor at 7:00.  Nor at 7:30.  I went back and forth trying to decide whether to go check on said someone, not knowing what mood I would find.  I finally decided at 7:30 that whether a person was sleeping in or grumpy, the person was best left in it's bed.  Turned out to be a good call, as the person really was sleeping in (until 8:00!!!) and woke up exceedingly cheerful.

2.  First day of school for the boys.  Second day for Pepper and Daisy.  Last day of no school for Rose Bud.  It went swimmingly!  Again, a good call not to begin with our full-out curriculum, but with a small unit study on Native Americans.  A little less work, just the right amount for easing in to the school year.




3.  Daisy read My Side of the Mountain this summer and since has wanted to make acorn flour.  She asked this morning if she and Pepper might not bike down the road where she knew there was an oak tree and look for nuts.  Not only did I say "yes," but I suggested they take BB, which he loved!  Relax.  Say Yes.  Don't worry.

4.  All day I admired the canning we did yesterday which was taking up space on my island.  Mr. GT did 21 quarts of grape juice and 18 pints of tomatoes with green chiles.  I did 21 pints of jalapenos.  Did I put the jars away in the basement?  No.  But I did get them labeled, took the rings off and admired them all day.
5.  I love September weather!  The day began cool in the morning and peaked at a wonderful warm summer temperature in the afternoon.  The sky is blue and the clouds are floating by.  Things are still green and the sun is shining.  The kids were happy to play outside most of the day (when they weren't doing school.)



There!  I made it to five!  Yay.

No comments: